Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Travel Inspired Home Decor

Traveling around the globe has really influenced how I decorate my living space!  Here are a few of my favorite examples:

1) Haitian Metal Art-  When I stayed in Croix-des-Bouquets for The Haiti Empowerment Project through Ohio State, we spent some time checking out the metal art shops.  Since each piece is hand-crafted, no two will be exactly the same.  So much work goes into each piece--I mean, look at those details.  My professor that led the trip took us into a store that was owned by an artisan she knew.  The profits he made from the metal art went towards funding a local school, so I was sure to buy something from his shop since it went to such a good cause.  The piece I bought from him is the first one pictured below, and it only cost about fifteen U.S. dollars.  One thing that I thought was really neat was that the shops all carried a lot of OSU metal art because of my professor's project!  There is even a school in Croix-des-Bouquets that is named after Ohio State.  



from inside the shop
2. Rajasthani Wall Hangings from India-  I fell in love with this wall hanging because I was drawn to the colors and mirror work.  In fact, I decided to base the colors of my bedroom on it.  I was told that these are made from old scraps of clothing that are all stitched together to make a work of art...kind of like a patchwork quilt! I look at each piece and try to envision the Indian woman who wore it--was it from a wedding sari?  What was her story?  


3.  Zulu Wire Baskets from South Africa- My friends started teasing me on my trip and accused me of being obsessed with these, but can you blame me?  Look at that beautiful design...and baskets are so practical to have around the house.  These baskets are made out of telephone wire and are usually started from the center.  I guess mostly men make these, since telephone wire can be tough to work with. 


4. La Vache qui Rit mug from France- This was given to me as a birthday gift from two lovely gals that I met in France when I was doing my study abroad program.  I don't drink out of this mug, but keep it on display since it reminds me of the two girls that gave it to me and of my experience in France.   My friends and I would eat Laughing Cow cheese quite frequently and would spread it over our baguettes.  We are still in contact even though our trip was over a decade ago!



5. Felt Box from Mongolia:  This box is made out of sheep's wool, which I guess is a common type of souvenir in Mongolia.  I brought back a bunch of these for my friends and keep some jewelry inside of it.


6. Tray from Haiti:   The guest house we stayed in all week had a little souvenir shop.  Artisans from the area stopped by and sold their wares to the owner of the guest house if she thought that they might sell.  This was the only tray in the shop and was not in plain sight, so I'm glad I stumbled upon it.  The wooden tray is made from stained glass and the colorful mosaic design appealed to me.


7. Framed Postcards from Europe-  When my friend Mandi and I went to Europe for nine months, we bought a postcard from every city in Europe that we visited.  Upon my return, I had quite the collection.  My mom brought me into Hobby Lobby to pick out frames for them, but none fit well, so she had them custom-made to fit my postcards.  I have 6 large frames like this, and just thought it was really sweet of my mom to do this for me! 


Which souvenir is your favorite?  How have the places you've been influenced your style?

 Image and video hosting by TinyPic

24 comments:

  1. The tray from Haiti is gorgeous! I hope to fill my home with trinkets from all over the world someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you are able to decorate your place with cool souvenirs, too. Traveling and shopping is one of my favorite combinations in life!

      Delete
  2. Love this post! Sadly travel has not influenced my decor style, though we probably have more New Zealand novelty pencils floating around our apartment than the average New Yorker does...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta love souvenir pencils! At least you'll write in style. :)

      Delete
  3. I frame post cards too! I collect them wherever I travel and have friends send as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frames make them look really nice and it brings a piece of your trip back home with you.

      Delete
  4. I love bringing back little bits and bobs from my travels, I feel it adds so much to the home. Not only does it look great, but it brings back stories as well.

    {Teffy's Perks} X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Some of the pieces are great conversation starters.

      Delete
  5. Stunning! I love the tray from Haiti!! Thank you for sharing :)

    http://neatly-packaged.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad I found it! I didn't even see it the first two times I went in the gift shop.

      Delete
  6. Wow I bet visiting your house is very interesting! Lots to look at. I like that you infuse your travels into your decor. I guess my style is modern and a bit....glam lol my friends say that my house looks like a model home but comfortable...I want my space to look nice but also make people feel comfy. My hubby has no clue...he doesn't pay attention to details and color so I get to pretty much to what I want lol.

    -Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can picture your house being glam! I'm drawn bohemian decor. That's great that you have free reign over everything. :)

      Delete
  7. Love that you use souvenirs to decorate!! I'm not even sure that I could pick a favorite souvenir. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the souvenirs because most of them hand-crafted and buying them helps to support artisans in those areas.

      Delete
  8. Pretty! I frame my post cards too for some added wall decor at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would look cool to have them individually framed and displayed on the wall next to a staircase.

      Delete
  9. Ohh my gosh, what a beautiful collection!
    I love that rug from France!!

    <3
    Harlynn
    mindyourmadness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The wall hanging is actually from India, though.

      Delete
  10. I love the colored wire basket. I wish I would have collected more post cards on my past trips because I think they make great home decor. I will have to go on some more trips I guess to start collecting those post cards:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there are plenty of great ones in Iceland to give you a start on your collection. :)

      Delete
  11. I love aperitivo glasses. I have noticed wherever I've been in Italy, tiny, pretty detailed glasses on intricate trays. Our neighbour bought us a set of coloured murano glasses at our wedding and I have a thing for them! It's so nice to have a memento from a special place.

    www.lululovesfilms.wordpress.com
    www.myfamilyandabruzzo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was so nice of your friend!! I went on a trip to Murano and thought it was worth the extra boat ride out of Venice!

      Delete
  12. so many awesome pieces of souvenir from everywhere!
    Zulu Wire Baskets from South Africa, Tray from Haiti and Felt Box from Mongolia is so special!
    would you like to follow each other to keep in touch?
    MY-Emily
    Please, let me know! ;)
    Follow me and I will follow you back for certain
    (leave a blog link at my blog after follow so I can go back ur blog again)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to expand my collection soon, but I'll need to go on some more trips first. :)

      Delete