Monday, March 3, 2014

Weekly Wrap Up #5

By far, the best thing I did all week was to go and see the Soweto Gospel Choir live in Akron.  My professor, who organized our study abroad tour to South Africa last year, invited those of us who attended, since that's where the Soweto Gospel Choir is from.  It was so great to reconnect with my friend Allyson and even with my professor.  I guess when you have someone for four classes and go on a study tour with them, you do get to know pretty well!  Anyway, before the concert all of us went to dinner at The Lockview, which serves all different types of gourmet grilled cheeses.  Allyson pulled up some really funny pictures on the trip and all of us reminisced about South Africa.  We all miss it and want to go back.

The actual concert itself was so good!  Believe you me, I am not someone who EVER listens to gospel music and I loved this concert, so don't cross it off your list because of the genre.  Only a few of the songs were sung in English, but it didn't matter that I didn't understand the words--their voices were just so powerful and beautiful that I was blown away.  The Soweto Gospel Choir has been together since 2002 and was a favorite of the late Nelson Mandela.  Actually, this Grammy-award winning group even performed at Mandela's funeral.  

I thanked my professor again and again for arranging everything and for inviting us and told her that I don't have that much time to have fun anymore because I work too much.  Her response was, "Lisa, that really is pathetic."  Haha...It really is!!


This week I've also been reading a lot of The Forever Girl by Alexander McCall Smith, a book that I won in Goodreads giveaway.  I will probably do a full review later when I'm done reading the whole thing, but I'm over halfway in and I'm addicted.  The story is all about love...falling in and out of love, first loves, and unrequited love.  The story follows a mother who has fallen out of love with her husband and in love with another man, and it also focuses on her daughter, Clover, who falls deeply in love with her childhood friend.  This book gave me a lot to think about and I have about 10 quotes I'd like to add to my quote book from this novel!


This past week, I've also been texting and getting to know Nancy @ Neatly-Packaged.  It's a lot of fun!  Nancy was kind enough to volunteer to be my partner for the mug swap that's going on right now since the girl that was assigned to be my partner never responded to me.

How did you spend your week?
 

Weekly Wrap Up Rules 

1) Follow your hosts Rachael @ The Rachael Way and Lisa @ Ameliorer la Vie.
2) Share what you have been up to this past week and link your post up with us every Monday.
3) Hop around and comment on at least two other people's posts.
4) Link your post back to us in some way. We have a cute button for you to grab. :)
5) Have fun reading about how other bloggers spent their week!

** If you would like to tweet about the link up, feel free to use #weeklywrapup.

Ameliorer la Vie




Image and video hosting by TinyPic

18 comments:

  1. I'll have to look that book up! It sounds really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost done with it...I can't put it down because I want to know what happens to lovesick Clover!

      Delete
  2. Love the response from your professor. Studying abroad in South Africa sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she will tell it like it is! That trip was amazing...I really wish that OSU let us do part of our student teaching abroad like other universities do.

      Delete
  3. Oh , the concert sounds SO much fun. Hah , I wonder how songs would feel if they're in some other languages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have taken pictures/video of the concert, but photography was strictly forbidden.

      Delete
  4. i really need to get back into reading. i found a book that started out interesting (the invisible man) but then all the tv shows started up again!

    -kathy | Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I can see how your favorite shows could distract you from reading!

      Delete
  5. Ohhh can't wait to read your review of The Forever Girl! And love your shirt- where'd you get it? That blue is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. One of the gals I work with actually went out and bought that shirt because she liked it so much on me, haha. I bought it from Alloy.com on clearance... Let me get you the link: http://www.alloyapparel.com/product/mina+blouse+175460.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType

      Delete
  6. Just posted my weekly wrap up! And you made that book sound really good! I'm not really big on novels like that but I might have to give this one a try, I have really been hoping to expand my reading horizons lately. Also, studying in South Africa? Color me jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look back on the trip and get jealous that I'm not there anymore!! Thanks so much for linking up with us!!

      Delete
  7. I can't wait for our blate... I just love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your weekly wrap up! Excited to see your review of the book :) thank you for sharing!

    http://neatly-packaged.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that I won that book from Goodreads! It was a good pick for me...I hope to finish it today because I just have a few chapters left.

      Delete
  9. hahah! Your professor sounds awesome! I want to be a professor like that one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was cool of her to arrange that for us even though I'm not even a student anymore!

      Delete